The 1866 dedication ceremony for the Stockbridge MA Civil War monument is captured here in a photo held by Stockbridge Library, Museum & Archive.
The Civil War was barely over when, in November 1865, the town began to plan a war memorial to honor the 109 men who had marched off to preserve the Union. The following April, $2,000 was appropriated to construct it, followed by a dedication ceremony on October 17th. It was the first such monument to be completed in Berkshire County.
Of the veterans from Stockbridge, 10 were killed in battle; 13 were wounded, 3 died as prisoners while 2 others were released; seven were discharged due to disability and one deserted. Among those much lamented was Lieutenant Marshall Bidwell Brewer, youngest son of the Reverend Josiah Brewer, who contracted typhoid Just as his term of service in the 37th NYVM had expired. He returned home to die.
So quickly was the monument dedicated, that several veterans’ names were omitted and were later listed on the monument and on a plaque at the Jackson Library, now the east wing of the Stockbridge Library.